It's Finished... It's Been Finished

 


    The first draft of Sweet Grass and Noxious Poppies is finished, and has been since December of last year (pic unrelated).
    I've had my mom, my brother, and some friends read it.
    But for the most part, I'm keeping it under wraps.
    "Why?" you might ask? 
    Well, I've already done the self-publishing thing, and I'm done with it. I want, very dearly, to pay my dues as a writer, and get stuff published "for real".

    But damn, it's a pretty fine novel, I must say. 
    Is it alright to like it so much? I guess it remains to be seen if anyone outside of me and my motley crew enjoy it.

    I've been avoiding this post for some time, I guess because I'm done, and I don't know what to say about it. Should I tell you about Kirk, the hippie mastermind? or Serenity, the apsara in human guise? I don't think it really makes any sense to do so. If they're worth knowing about, then I can find someone to publish SG&NP. 
    And THEN, by God, you will know of them!

    One of these days, I should come up with a FINAL playlist for the book. There's a lot of Diegetic music throughout, but I take playlist-crafting seriously. I couldn't simply make a playlist of all of the songs in the book. I'd have to look at the playlist from On Music/Dreams/Writing, AND all of the obscure musical references in the novel itself (there's a nod to Hector Berlioz in there), AND add some other cool songs, just to round things out. I don't have time. What keeps me from writing blog posts is writing the things that I actually want to write. And what keeps me from writing the things that I actually want to write is life. And what keeps me from living my life is anxiety, like any other zennial.

    I wrote a pretty cool short story recently. It's called Wet Specimen. It's a gothic love story that takes place at the bottom of a lighthouse. I know that my idol, Kurt Vonnegut, wrote short stories for magazines before any of his novels were published. I'm thinking I might try that. 

   I have nothing else to say, so I'm going to end the post right here.

    Stay in school.

    - M.Q.S.

    

Comments